As a Baird research associate, you will provide comprehensive industry and company coverage for both institutional and individual clients. Research associates have the opportunity to work with nationally recognized senior analysts in a department that has an international reputation for excellence. The quality of Baird's research has helped us become one of the largest full-service investment banking firms outside New York.
Research associates are fully participating members of an active research team. They assist senior analysts in a number of ways, including:
We look for the following qualities in candidates joining our research team:
- Writing industry- and company-specific research
- Developing and maintaining financial models for companies under coverage
- Assisting in the development of relationships with the senior management team of the companies we cover
- Participating in company-sponsored conferences
- Communication with the institutional sales force and clients
The Interview Process
- Integrity, teamwork and a strong work ethic
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills
- An MBA and three to five years of work experience (investment or industry experience preferred)
- A desire to pursue the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation
- A willingness to travel
- Advanced computer skills using Word and Excel
First round interviews consist of interviews with one to two Associate and are generally 20-30 minutes each. The interviews occur either on your campus or in one of our offices.
"Super Friday" interviews consist of five to six interviews with one Senior Analyst or Research Associate and are generally 30 minutes each. Interviews are held in our Milwaukee office.
Offers are made shortly after the Super Friday interviews.
Things to Consider Before You Interview
Be prepared to discuss the following during your interview:
- What do you know about sell-side equity research?
- Why are you interested in a career in this industry?
- What do you know about Baird and its culture?
- What about our firm and culture appeals to you?
- Be prepared to discuss your résumé.
- Why did you decide to pursue an MBA?
- Think about your strengths and weaknesses, and be able to discuss both. How do your strengths apply to sell-side equity research?
- What are your three greatest accomplishments?
- Describe a failure. What did you learn from it?
- How would your peers describe you? What would they say you could improve about yourself?
- How would a supervisor or manager at a previous job describe you?
- What is your leadership style?