Baird's sales professionals are dedicated to serving our institutional equity investors and more than 1,300 financial institutions, insurance companies and money managers. Our Institutional Sales teams work closely with other capital markets professionals to structure the most efficient and effective public offerings of securities for our issuing clients, and maintain an active secondary market in those issues.
As an Institutional Sales professional, you will be exposed to extensive research and investment banking products in diverse industries, within a structured team environment. These products are marketed to some of the leading financial institutions in the investment management, mutual fund, pension fund and hedge fund community. Sales professionals are encouraged to accept project and client responsibilities, and as your experience grows, so will your responsibilities for account coverage.
Candidates for the position possess the following qualifications:
The Interview Process
- Two to three years of work experience
- Demonstrated analytical and sales abilities
- Strong communications skills
- Advanced degrees in finance or economics
- Previous exposure to investment banking, commercial banking or other financial services areas is helpful, but not required
Generally, the interview process consists of an initial screening interview, followed by three or more rounds of interviews with Baird Institutional Sales and Trading and Research personnel. Group dinners or other social events are frequently part of the interview process.
Things to Consider Before You Interview
Be prepared to discuss the following:
- Why are you interested in an Institutional Sales position?
- What qualities do you possess that make you a good fit for this position?
- How do you feel about working in this type of environment? Will you thrive?
- What experiences show you are a team player?
- Do you think you would prosper in the Baird culture? Why?
- Are you comfortable working on relationship-building efforts most of your day?